Since the clock struck noon at the exact time that I started writing this post, I guess I’ll start off by saying good afternoon instead of good morning. 😉
We got snowed in!!! Two feet of snow came down between Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon. The roads are pretty well plowed, but very icy. However, NO walkways are shoveled out in my apartment complex, so getting from the building’s front entrance to the parking lot requires trudging through knee high snow. This is why I really haven’t left the apartment that much this weekend, lol.
My Friday night shift at work sucked. Manager T was on my behind the second that my shift started. I spent the 5 hours of my shift keeping myself busy and avoiding the managers because I didn’t want to give them any reason to scold me. I left at 10pm and walked home, walking into the wind with snow pounding my face. I stopped at the 7-eleven around the corner from my apartment building and picked up a little piece-of-heaven known as Ben & Jerry’s Frozen Yogurt Half Baked.
When I finally got back to the apartment I took off all my cold, wet clothes, put on my pj’s and settled onto the couch with the pint and a spoon. The ice cream totally lost the battle and surrendered to my belly. 😀
One of my bff’s Kelsey who lives in another building in my apartment complex came over at around 11pm and hung out with me. We made some hot cocoa, opened up the blinds in the living room, and watched the wicked storm while listening to some killer elevator jazz music on the weather channel. For two hours we sat, talked, laughed, and watched Jersey Shore spoofs online. It was the best ending to my day.
I was supposed to open the restaurant at 9:30am on Saturday. At 9 I got a text that they were opening the restaurant at 1pm. I got up, looked outside, and it was crazy outside! Wind was blowin’ and the snow had not let up at all. I texted the manager back and said that I’d been sick for a week and was not walking through a blizzard to work because it would just make me more sick. Take that!
Yesterday’s breakfast was a mug of warm banana oats with a big, melty, sinful blob of natural peanut butter and a sprinkle of trail mix.
I spent all of yesterday sitting around in my apartment, being a bum. I watched TV, ate quite a bit of food, and drank my new favorite concoction:
My friends have informed me that I am officially a genius for putting this one together. 😉
I’m no quitter, but…
I’ve decided to put my two weeks in at work today. After a really horrible week at the restaurant, I’ve just decided to get out of the negative environment. There are several reasons why I’m leaving:
- I don’t want to be in a work environment where I’m afraid to ask my bosses any questions, even innocent simple things.
- I’ve been very very sick for the past week, and I got completely derailed by a nasty case of strep throat last semester. Both bouts of illness are directly related to working at the restaurant. I got strep after a really crazy homecoming weekend at the pub, and I started getting sick this time right after I returned to work after weeks off. I can’t keep beating down my immune system with long shifts and overwhelming work stress.
- I’ve got a tough semester this spring. I’m taking microbiology and microbiology lab which is supposed to be nearly impossible, and I’m going to be a TA for a class of peers which will be stressful. With three other classes and executive board positions on two clubs, it’s going to take a lot of work just to not feel overwhelmed. I don’t need to add 8 hour or 9 hour shifts on top of that. For example, next week (the first week of the semester) I have class Tuesday through Friday morning (Monday classes were canceled due to snow), and then I have work from 12-8pm Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. I just can’t maintain that through the semester.
I’ve got a couple ideas for other jobs, but I’m not worrying about it too much. I’m just really excited to put my foot down and quit!
Superbowl Sunday Funday
A few days ago I came up with this awesome idea: a girls only superbowl party. Emphasis on food, chatting, and commercials, less emphasis on the game. The day has come and we’re officially doing it. I’m excited for it, even though there won’t be many girls that I actually know that well at the party. In fact, out of the eight other girls, I really only know my roomie and one other girl. But, they sound really cool so I’m keeping an open mind.
The superbowl menu includes:
- Tortilla chips, pita chips, pretzels
- Salsa, hummus, spinach dip
- Piggies in blankets
- Fudgy brownies
There may be more, I’m not 100% sure. But so far, so good!
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, whether you’re watching the big game, going to a party, or just relaxing at home. Two days till Spring Semester. Ahhhhh!